Faculty & Staff Membership SHAPEUP
The University of Miami encourages development of a healthy lifestyle through participation in fitness and wellness activities. The SHAPEUP program offers full-and part-time University faculty and staff the opportunity to earn a 20 percent rebate on the cost of their Medical Wellness Center membership.
A total of 42 points (approximately three workout sessions/week) must be earned and documented in a continuous four month period to qualify for the SHAPEUP rebate. One point is defined as a period of 30 or more minutes of a continuous exercise. Upon successful completion of each four month program, participants will be issued a refund check, in the amount of $36.00. The SHAPEUP program is not a one time program and is continuous for the lifetime of your membership.
- What is SHAPE UP?
An incentive program sponsored by Benefits Administration to encourage the development of a healthy lifestyle through participation in wellness and fitness programs to University employees.
- Who is eligible to join?
University faculty and staff classified as full-time (FR) or part-time (PR).
- What do I get from the program?
A 20% rebate on the cost of your Medical Wellness Center membership.
- Is SHAPE UP a onetime program?
No. SHAPE UP is a continuous program for the duration of your membership. For every four months you complete the program, you will be mailed a rebate check for 20% of the cost of your 4-month membership ($36.00).
- How do I sign up?
You will automatically be enrolled in the program when you sign up for your membership via open-ended payroll deduction. Your membership will then be divided into four month increments for facilitation purposes of the program.
- How can I determine the start and stop dates of each Shape Up period?
Your Shape Up period will begin the month following your join date. For example, if you sign up on January 16th your first Shape Up period will begin February 1st and end on May 31st.
- What if I freeze or cancel my membership before the end of my Shape Up period?
Your Shape Up period is determined by your initial join date and cannot be changed. In order to qualify for any Shape Up period you must have made payment for each month within that period.
- What are the requirements to receive my 20% rebate?
You must earn 42 points in a continuous four month period. This equates to approximately 2-3 workouts per week.
- How will I receive my refund?
Refunds are sent via postal mail to your mailing address given upon membership enrollment. Please update your mailing address in our membership office if it changes throughout the course of your membership
- How can I earn a point?
By exercising for a period of 30 or more continuous minutes.
- Do I get an extra point if I work out for more than 30 minutes?
No. The minimum period of time required to obtain a SHAPE UP point is 30 minutes; however, extra time is beneficial to your overall fitness level.
- Can I earn more than one point per day?
No. You can only earn one point each day.
- Can I earn points for exercising at home or outside the Medical Wellness Center? What if I go on vacation?
Exercise outside of our facility also counts toward your Shape-Up fitness goal. If you wish to log outside workouts, you may enter them in at the front desk or you may send an email to email@example.com. Please include the date, type of activity, and duration of activity in your email. We will not accept workouts for previous Shape Up periods.
- Is there a certain type of activity I need to perform to earn my points?
No. Any type of physical activity counts; from aerobics, walking, yoga, weight training, water exercise, indoor cycling, etc. The purpose of this program is to encourage you to exercise on a regular basis.
- When are rebates issued?
Rebates are issued the month after you complete your 4-month cycle. For example, if you successfully complete your 4-month period in September, you will receive your rebate in October.
- Is my spouse eligible for the SHAPE UP program?
Yes. Effective 9/1/09, spouses and partners covered by a UM health plan are now eligible to participate in the Shape Up program. Children are not eligible.
- Do both UM employee and spouse/partner need to be members of the Wellness Center?
- How does my spouse/partner enroll in the Shape Up program?
Please visit the membership office to fill out a Shape Up enrollment form and please bring proof of coverage under a UM health insurance plan.
- Will my spouse/partner and I be on the same Shape Up schedule?
Not necessarily. Shape Up periods are determined by join date. Each member’s 4-month Shape Up period starts the month after they join, and every 4 months thereafter. If you joined the Wellness Center in different months you will have different Shape Up periods.
- Do both my spouse/partner and I need to meet our individual point threshold in order for either of us to receive a Shape Up refund?
No, if you do not qualify for Shape Up during a particular period, that will not affect your spouse/partner’s ability to qualify, and vice versa. Points will be counted separately.
- Can points from both of us be combined to receive one refund?
No, points are accrued and counted separately for each member.
- How much will my spouse receive as a refund?
20% off their membership dues for every 4 months successfully completed. Refunds will be mailed.
- I have more questions, who can I contact?
You may refer all questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.