WHAT IS the GEAR study?
Clinicians and researchers are hopeful that by better understanding how genetics and physical activity are associated with health related outcomes, they can develop more effective preventative approaches for the treatment of people at risk of developing cardiovascular and cognitive diseases. The goal of the Genetics, Exercise And Research (GEAR) study is to examine this complicated relationship among individuals who undergo a 12-week exercise protocol. The John P. Hussman Institute for Human Genomics (HIHG) in the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine and the Medical Wellness Center are collaborating to enroll participants into the GEAR study.
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE?
- UM faculty and staff
- Spouses and domestic partners
- Individuals not working at UM
- Must be between 18 to 65 to participate
- Sedentary, Inactive, or Deskbound
- All participants must become members of the Medical Wellness Center for the 12 week duration of the study.
- The monthly cost of the Wellness Center is:
*UM Employees - $45
*University Alumni - $50
*University Retiree - $50
*Non-UM Affiliated - $60
WHAT DOES PARTICIPATION INVOLVE?
- Participation is voluntary and will take place at the Medical Wellness Center. All information is confidential and participation will not affect your health care. All participants are asked to agree to the following:
- Read and sign a consent form
- Participate in individual fitness assessments
- Participate in family and medical history interview
- Provide a blood sample
- Complete basic demographic and risk factor forms
- Complete exercise log books
WHAT ARE BENEFITS OF PARTICIPATION?
- A free blood test and metabolic screening with results provided to you
- At least 3 weeks of supervised training
- A monitored 12-week exercise program designed by a personal trainer and exercise physiologist
- Individual fitness assessments to check progress
- Access to the Medical Wellness Center facilities and educational programs
- Nutritional Counseling and advice from a Registered Dietitian
- Study is FREE for all University of Miami Wellness Center Members
- GEAR t-shirt and raffle to win GEAR workout items
- Access to a dedicated team to help participants achieve their goals of decreased body fat, increase in muscle strength, and improved cardiovascular fitness