The BeSmokeFree Tobacco Education & Treatment Services include combining the best evidence-based treatments, such as Chantix (varenicline), a smoking cessation prescription medicine or a combination of nicotine replacement therapies (e.g., nicotine patches with Commit lozenges and nicotine gum) with various other alternative therapies to help minimize the cravings, bolster resolve, and rebuild a new sense of self for a smoker that is healthy, vibrant, and free from the grip of nicotine addiction.
The UM-AHEC Quit Smoking Now classes are offered weekly at various times during the day. Smokers interested in quitting are also referred to the Florida Department of Health’s toll-free, statewide smoking cessation telephone counseling hotline (1-877-U-CAN NOW).
How can the Program Help?
The BeSmokeFree Program is staffed by trained professionals who understand how difficult it is to stop using tobacco. Withdrawal symptoms associated with quitting can be effectively treated with current medications in combination with complementary and integrative medical therapies. Our professionals provide a regimen specifically tailored for you. Beyond that, personal and group support can make the difference in those early days during which many people relapse. There is now scientific proof showing that smokers receiving this kind of help are more than four times as likely to succeed in stopping tobacco use.
What Kind of Treatment do we Provide?
The BeSmokeFree staff are professionals who are trained in tobacco dependence treatment and understand how hard it is to quit. They will work with you to develop a personalized plan designed to best help you quit smoking.
The kind of treatment provided will depend on your individual needs.
You may choose to make use of one or more of the following:
- Individual treatment
- Group support sessions (6-Week Quit Smoking Now! Classes)
- Relapse Prevention (Aftercare Support Program)
- Nicotine Medicines (often called “Nicotine Replacement Therapy”, or “NRT”), such as:
- Nasal spray
- Other Medications that can help you quit, such as:
- Varenicline (aka Chantix)
- Cold Laser Therapy
- Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation (CES)
- Traditional Chinese Acupuncture
- Hypnosis · Nutrition Counseling
- Whole Food Vitamin Supplements
- 21 Day Detoxification/Nutritional Cleanse
- Chinese Herbal Medicine
- Stress Reduction Treatments such as:
- BrainSync- Brainwave Technology
- IonCleanse Footbath
- Full-Wave® Breathing
- Oxygen Therapy with Organic Aromatherapy
- Crystal Chromo-Therapy
- Neuro-Linguistic Psychology (NLP) Coaching
- Exercise Fitness Programs: Choose as many activities from the Medical Wellness Center:
- Weight Training
- Cardiovascular Training
- Resistance Training & Stretching
- Yoga/Mind- Body